Starting from the Port of Igoumenitsa one can visit Corfu, the most cosmopolitan island of the Ionian Islands which retains its Venetian charm with French and English influences.
The distance between Igoumenitsa and Corfu is 18 nautical miles while the duration of journey is approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes.
The reasons that make Corfu an ideal destination are many:
- The historic centre (UNESCO World Heritage Site) with its majestic buildings and picturesque alleys manages to turn every walk to Campiello or Liston into a journey to another era.
- Attractions such as the Old and New Fortress, Kanoni and Pontikonisi, Achillion and Mon Repos reflect the history throughout the centuries and the multiculturalism of the island.
- Magnificent beaches for all tastes. Endless and sandy beaches hidden in the green, organised, with restaurants, bars and water sports (water skiing, paragliding, windsurfing, diving).
- Activities in nature: Day trips by speedboat from Paleokastritsa or Dassia, or hiking among the green hills of the island on the Corfiot Trail or Mount Pantokrator.
- In addition, there are plenty of museums on the island of Corfu. Some of them are the: Museum of Asian Art, Archaeological Museum of Corfu, Banknote Museum, Music Museum of Philharmonic Society of Corfu, Solomos Museum, Kapodistrias Museum and Reading Society.
- There are picturesque villages by the sea or on the mountain, the most famous one is Pelekas where you can admire the sunset, Lakones, a traditional Corfiot village and Old Perithia, the oldest village on the island.
- Easter in Corfu: Philharmonic, litanies, epitaphs, “botides”, an experience that everyone should live at least once.
- Local delicacies: honey, olive oil, liqueur and kumquat spoon sweat, pastitsada, sofrito, bianco, bourdeto, fresh seafood and fish.
Corfu is an ideal destination for every type of visitor and satisfies all tastes as it combines warm hospitality, a romantic atmosphere and enchanting landscapes, nightlife and cultural tourism. Whoever decides to visit the island will not be disappointed and maybe even discover new interests!